Virtual Beer School: Level 2
A 12-week interactive online prep course for the written portion of the Certified Cicerone® exam. New course dates to be announced soon.
February – April 2023
The Certified Cicerone exam covers the following five knowledge areas:
- Keeping and Serving Beer
- Beer Styles
- Beer Flavour and Evaluation
- Beer Ingredients and Brewing Processes
- Pairing Beer with Food
Virtual Beer School uses the International English syllabus from the Cicerone Certification Program for reference. All areas are addressed, however, they are not discussed in the order of the syllabus.
Find a weekly breakdown of the topics to be covered below:
Week 1: February 1st – 7th = Beer Ingredients and Brewing Processes: Ingredients
Week 2: February 8th – 14th = Beer Ingredients and Brewing Processes: Processes (“Milling” thru “Chilling”)
Week 3: February 15th – 21st = Beer Ingredients and Brewing Processes: Processes (“Aeration and pitching” thru “Packaging and pasteurisation”)
Week 4: February 22nd – 28th = Beer Styles by Region: England (8 styles)
- Styles include: Ordinary Bitter, Strong Bitter, English IPA, Dark Mild, English Porter, Foreign Extra Stout, Old Ale, English Barleywine
Week 5: March 1st – 7th = Beer Flavour and Evaluation
Week 6: March 8th – 14th = Beer Styles by Region: Scotland and Ireland (4 styles); Belgium and France (4 styles)
- Styles include: Scottish Light, Scottish Heavy, Scottish Export, Irish Red Ale, Oud Bruin, Belgian Dark Strong Ale, Belgian Pale Ale, Biere de Garde
Week 7: March 15th – 21st = Pairing Beer with Food: Vocabulary and Concepts
Week 8: March 22nd – 28th = Pairing Beer with Food: Interactions; Creating a pairing; Designing a meal; Classic pairings; Cooking with beer
Week 9: March 29th – April 4th = Beer Styles by Region: Germany and Austria (10 styles)
- Styles include: Vienna Lager, Festbier, Munich Dunkel, Schwarzbier, Rauchbier, Dunkles Bock, Eisbock, Dunkles Weissbier, Weizenbock, Altbier
Week 10: April 5th – 11th = Keeping and Serving Beer: Purchasing and accepting beer; Draught system principles, components, and design
Week 11: April 12th – 18th = Keeping and Serving Beer: Draught system troubleshooting and maintenance; Other draught service practices
Week 12: April 19th – 25th = Beer Styles by Region: USA and Other regions (9 styles)
- Styles include: American Lager, Specialty Beers (7), Baltic Porter
Course Review: Tuesday, May 2nd = Optional
Virtual Beer School gives everyone the opportunity to learn more about beer and show what they know.
Online beer education brought to you by Natalya Watson, award-winning beer educator, Beer Sommelier & Advanced Cicerone®.
Virtual Beer School is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Cicerone Certification Program.